Listing sponsored by
Scientific Breakthrough. No Shots
Science response to skin aging.
Phone: 207-967-2712 --
The Seashore Trolley Museum was founded in 1939 as the Seashore Electric Railway, and is the principal activity of the New England Electric Railway Historical Society, Inc. (NEERHS). The Society is a non-profit educational institution incorporated in 1941 in the State of Maine, and is registered as a tax- exempt organization under Section 501 (C) 3 of the Internal Revenue Code. All donations are federally tax deductible in the United States to the limit of the law.
The Museum Library contains several hundred books, magazines, photographs, transparencies, motion picture film, plans, diagrams, etc. which are available for research.
The Seashore Trolley Museum has in its Vehicle Collection over 270 mass transit vehicles, some 230 of which are accessioned. There are several sub-collections including "The National Collection" of American streetcars, which contains representative trolley cars from nearly every first tier American city. The Museum has the Maine Collection, which contains the only trolley cars from the state. There is also the Boston Collection, perhaps the finest collection of transit vehicles from any one city. The Museum's Canadian Collection is the largest outside of Canada.
Off Season (May, June, Sept., Oct., Nov.)
Located 1.5 miles east of U. S. Route 1 in Kennebunkport.
From South: Maine Turnpike Exit 3 (after toll booths) to Route 35 South. Turn left onto Route 35 to Kennebunk to U. S. Route 1. U. S. Route 1 North approx. 3 miles to Log Cabin Rd. Right turn onto Log Cabin Rd. (in Arundel) to Museum (in Kennebunkport).
From North: Maine Turnpike to Exit 4 (Biddeford). From exit proceed straight across to connector road to U. S. Route 1 South. U. S. Route 1 South approx. 3.5 miles to Log Cabin Rd. (Arundel). Left onto Log Cabin Rd. 1.5 miles to Museum.
Dallas Railway & Terminal 434 - 1914, American Car Co.
"Stone & Webster Standard" trolley car from Dallas, TX. In service 1914 - 1954. In regular use at Museum.
Eastern Mass. St. Ry. 4387 - 1918, Laconia Car Co.
Semi-convertible suburban trolley. Restored at Museum. In service 1918 - 1946. In regular use at Museum.
Connecticut Co. 838 - 1905, J. M. Jones Co.
Open trolley. Popular known as "Breezers". Used in Yale Bowl fleet in New Haven, CT. In service 1905 - 1947. In regular use at Museum, weather permitting. (Photo by Donald G. Curry)
Third Avenue Railway System 631 - 1939, TARS
Lightweight city trolley from Manhattan, New York. Sent to Vienna, Austria as part of the Marshall Plan for the rebuilding of Europe after World War II. In service 1939 - 1968. In regular use at Museum.
An aerial view of the Museum Grounds taken in 1981.
Boston Elevated Ry. 396 - 1900, St. Louis Car Co.
Early trolley from Boston, Mass. Originally restored in 1963 for use in the film "The Cardinal". Platform enclosures removed for use in television series in 1977. Typical of early trolley cars across the United States and Canada. Planned operation and display in Boston, MA for 100th Anniversary of Tremont Street Subway. Photo shows car as it appeared in "The Cardinal".