Listing sponsored by
Breakthrough. No Shots
Science response to skin aging.
Museum of Discovery & Science - Blockbuster Imax Theater
401 S.W. Second Street
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Phone: 954 467 6637 --
Statement of Purpose
The Museum is:
- A private, not-for-profit science museum whose mission is to promote and to increase the understanding and appreciation of science in children and adults through entertaining interaction with educational exhibits, programs, and films. The Museum isgovemed by a 35-member volunteer Board of Trustees and is supported by admissions, fees, private donations, and government funds.
- An 85,000-square-foot, S32.4 million facility which opened on November 21, 1992 opening on ime, within budget, and without capital debt and which, upon completion of all pledge payments from the Capital Campaign, will have a $3 million endowment.
- An institution with an eighteen year history of hands-on science educaion, since its opening as The OiscoverY Center in 1977.
- The highest attended museum in the state of Rorida, with 1994 on-site attendance of 557,778, and the second most visited tourist attraction in South Florida.
- An institution committed to community outreach with 18,983 people served through off-site educational programs in 1994.
- A museum 'homew to over 6,000 member families in South Rorida and host to residents, families, students and tourists.
- A museum operated by a staff of 137 employees and over 13,000 volunteer hours.
- A vital part of the cultural community, helping to prepare our children for the future, providing families with entertaining and educational activities, and sparking the curiosity of hundreds of thousands.
Highlights & Collections
Over 200 interactive exhibits including the largest indoor living Atlantic coral reef!
- South Florida's only IMAX theater offering a changing schedule of films and featuring a five-story-high IMAX screen and a 42-speaker digital sound system.
- Over 200 hands-on exhibits on a variety of science topics, inciuding animals, ecology, technology, space, health, sound, and household science which offer fun for all ages.
- Changing exhibitions from renowned museums across the country which give visitors the opponunitY to explore a wide variety of topics.
- A variety of special programs including live animal shows, science demonstraions, performances, lectures, special events, Earth Day, and much more.
- A student laboratory, lecture hall / theater, Food For Thought Cafe, and the Explore Store. where visitors can find entertaining and educaional items from books to activity kits to games and much more.
- A winning combination of permanent exhibits, traveling exhibits, on-site programs and outreach programs that make the Museum of Oiscovery and Science Rorida's premier provider of educational entertainment.
Exhibits & Special Events
Kidscience, space base, sound, Florida ecoscapes, choose health, and gizmo city.
Admission & Directions:
Check with us at a later date.
Barry H. Rosen, Ph.D., President
- Laura Walton, Vice President - Research and Business Development;
- Suzy Turper, Marketing Director.
Tell us what you think.
Do you have any additional
comments concerning this site?
Do you wish to receive some information on
how to get your museum on the Museums Tour?
Thank you again for your visit.
This page and all contents are © 1995-2014 Art Emotion Corp., IL. USA.
All information is subject to change - This document is non contractual.