Listing sponsored by
Breakthrough. No Shots
Science response to skin aging.
New York Mills Art Retreat & Regional Cultural Center
24 North Main Avenue
New York Mills, MN
Phone: 218 385 3339 - Tty: -
Statement of Purpose
The mission of the New York Mills Arts Retreat & Regional Cultural Center is to enhance the cultural and creative opportunities of rural Americans! The Regional Cultural Center is recognized as a national prototype for rural arts programming.
Highlights & Collections
Economic Development Tool: The Regional Cultural Center and the City of New York Mills have been successful in combining arts and economic development since the Regional Cultural Center's grand opening in June of 1992. From that time to present, over 15 new businesses have moved into the community increasing jobs in town 40 precent, from 700 to well over 1,000. As a result, we have become a model for other small rural communities around the country.
- Regional Cultural Center is Recognized as a national prototype for innovative rural arts programming.
- Named one of Top 5 Culturally Cool Towns by USA Today Weekend Magazine in 1994.
- Selected as one of the 100 Best Small Art Towns by travel writer, John Villani
- Featured as one of the Top 50 Funky Towns in Mark Cramer's 1995 nationally recognized book, Funkytowns USA.
Inovative Arts Programming which includes:
- The Great American Think-Off, a nation-wide philosophy contest.
- Musical Seris, which features up and coming musicians ranging from opera to blues.
- Artist Residency Program, which integrates natinal and international artists into the town.
- Gallery Exhibits, Which showcase both traditional and contemporary art.
- Literary Series, which features regional authors, poets, and playwrights.
- Fish House Contest, which celebrates the creativity involved with ice fishing!
- Music and Film Festival, an outdoor music & film festival which features Midwest musicians and filmmakers.
- Classes and Workshops, ranging from tai chih and mime to drawing and journal writing.
- Community Oral History Project, which preserves our local history by audio/visual tech.
Regional Cultural Center is Housed in an historic 1885 brick mercantile building in the community of New York Mills (pop.963) located 180 miles NW of Minneapolis/St.Paul. the building now houses a fine art gallery, performance space, studio space, gift shop, and classroom areas.
Exhibits & Special Events
- Tuesday - Saturday 10 am - 5 pm
- Sunday 1 pm - 5 pm
- Closed Mondays
Admission & Directions:
There is no admission charge to visit the gallery. There may be a fee for special events.
New York Mills is located 180 miles northwest of Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN on US Hwy 10.
John Davis, Executive Director
Mark Turner, Administrative Director.
Tell us what you think.
Would you like to e-mail any request to the museum?
If you wish to receive some information on how to get
your museum on the Artcom Museums Tour?
Thank you again for your visit.
This page and all contents are © 1995-2014 Art Emotion Corp., IL. USA.
All information is subject to change - This document is non contractual.