Listing sponsored by
Breakthrough. No Shots
Science response to skin aging.
Chemung Valley History Museum
415 East Water Street
Phone: 607-734-4167 - Tty: -
Statement of Purpose
The Mission of the Chemung County Historical Society is to collect, preserve,
research, and present those items which will illustrate and describe the history
of Chemung County and its region from pre-history to the present.
Collecting and interpreting the objects which represent the history of the
Chemung Valley region.
Museum housed in a National Register historic structure "The Chemung Canal Bank" building (1830s-1920s).
Highlights & Collections
- "Community Album" exhibition on themes in Valley history - such as the Civil War and Mark Twain.
- Changing exhibitions - including annula summer exhibition of classic vehicles or fire apparatus.
- Programs throughout the year - "Appraisal Day," "The Great Car Thing," round-table discussions, local & guest presenters.
- Research library & archive - 2,000 volumes & 30,000 holdings in the archive - including 16,000 photographs
- Gift Shop featuring regional publications.
- Textiles - costumes, quilts, coverlets
- Mark Twain related artifacts
- Civil War and military collections
- Archaeological collections - primarily the Lamoka
Exhibits & Special Events
"A Community Album" - on-going.
explores ten themes in regional history including military, domestic life,
urban life, immigration, and Mark Twain in Elmira
- "Echoes of the Century" - through Dec. 31, 2000
- Fall 2000 Schedule:
Sept. 9 -
Bicycle tour of city cemeteries
Sept. 20 - Presentation on the Restoration
of Elmira' Popcorn Truck
Sept. 23 - Family Day Program: Urban Families in
Oct. 12 - Dr. David Gerber: Immigration Patterns & Group
Oct. 14 - Family Day Program: The Immigrant Family
Oct. 19 -
Community Dialogue on Immigration
Oct. 26 - Program by Wilton Tifft on his Ellis Island
photo documentation andbook
Nov. 9 - Program on
the archaeology work at the Arena construction site
Nov. 11 - Family Day
Program: Rural Family Life
- Tuesday through Saturday 10am-5pm, Sundays 1-5 pm
- Research: Monday through Friday 9am-5pm
Admission & Directions:
$2.00 adults, $1 senior citizens and children, members free
Exit Rt. 17 Southern Tier Expressway (future Interstate 86) at Elmira Exit for Church Street, follow brown directional signs to Lake Street, turn left go to Water St., turn left to museum on left.
Constance B. Barone, Director
Tell us what you think.
Would you like to e-mail any request to the museum?
Do you wish to receive some information on
how to get your museum on the Artcom Museums Tour?
Thank you again for your visit.
This page and all contents are © 1995-2013 Art Emotion Corp., IL. USA.
All information is subject to change - This document is non contractual.